Monday, June 25, 2007

TranspacBlogII-9: Last Man Overboard Blog

Peeing at sea.

I have heard, and I well believe it, that the highest risk of falling overboard in the non-racing world is associated with drunkenness. Not surprising. But I have also heard that the riskiest activity among the non-inebriated is the act of taking a leak. Most of us much prefer urinating over the side of the boat, rather than going below. This act is always a pleasure, not only because you are relieving your bladder, but also because you are taking a break. Because you cannot do anything else while you are peeing, it is one of those rare moments when you can survey the ocean with virtually zero chance of being able respond to what you see. The boat can be off course, the sails improperly trimmed, the coffee spilling, whatever. You can't help. There are exceptions to this rule, though (see below).

So you stare at the waves and the wind and the motion of the boat. You can't help but feel the poetry, especially as your bladder becomes more comfortable. But this reflective moment is also the one that can pitch a sailor overboard. Of course we are all aware of that; we generally use our harness to buckle in so we don't go anywhere if we fall off, but I do have to admit that sometimes, in fair daylight weather, I just get up and pee.

Everyone has a preferred position. My dad and most others I know prefer the steel rail around the transom. The "pee rail". I prefer the leeward midship position. There I can wrap a couple of arms around the shrouds (the wires which go from the mast to the deck, and help keep the mast in place), making balance less of an issue. There, the act is less public. It is also closer to the bow, whose sound tells you volumes.

But no matter where you stand, you are vulnerable. I remember one afternoon on Siwash when my dad owned her. We were headed toward Catalina Island under power, but with a light westerly filling the main, jib, and mizzen as we motor-sailed along. The sea was very smooth as it is most mornings in the summer in Southern California. I was contemplating that sea, and whether we might get enough wind so Dad would shut of the engine for an hour of real sailing.

Now urinating is a sort of automaton behavior; what we call in the neuroethology business a "fixed-action pattern." One of the tenants of such a behavior is that once started, it is very difficult to stop. So there I am communing with nature as I pee over the leeward rail. Suddenly I notice a foot-long jet plane screaming right at me. At first glance, it appeared to be a heat-seeking missile headed right for my hot spot. Luckily, its flight leveled out and it hit the rail at my feet, knocking itself out, and falling harmlessly into the sea.

But virtually every time I go to pee, I contemplate what it would feel like to fall into that deep, endless ocean and be left behind.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now I really really want to know who was piloting that foot-long jet plane. Was it elves? I can't WAIT for the next installment!
-Sara

Bird said...

Nice, Sara. I forgot to mention that it was the California flying fish, the largest flying fish in the northern hemisphere.

Bird said...

You can see pictures at

http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/stender/fishes/pelagic/pelagic.htm

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The fixed-pattern reaction of peeing explains something for me: When I pee, I often think about what would happen if it just didn't stop and the toilet overflowed and then the room filled up with it. In other words, if the fixed pattern was permanently fixed.

Now, what if this happens when you're at sea?

Bird said...

Aargh, Jason. Your comment clearly indicates I should have said more about the fixed action pattern.

It is hard to stop consciously, but it always has its own way of stopping. The classic example is the grey lag goose female, who when presented with an egg (or even a baseball) just outside her nest will reach out with her bill in a characteristic motion, zig-zag back toward the nest. Take the egg away, and she keeps going. She stops ONLY when her motion has brought her back to the nest.

See the movie at

http://www.pigeon.psy.tufts.edu/psych26/fap.htm

Anonymous said...

… Unbelievable , but I just found software which can do all hard work promoting your transpac07.blogspot.com website on complete autopilot - building backlinks and getting your website on top of Google and other search engines 1st pages, so your site finally can get laser targeted qualified traffic, and so you can get lot more visitors for your website.

YEP, that’s right, there’s this little known website which shows you how to get to the top 10 of Google and other search engines guaranteed.

I used it and in just 7 days… got floods of traffic to my site...

…Well check out the incredible results for yourself -
http://magic-traffic-software.com

I’m not trying to be rude here, but I believe when you find something that finally works you should share it…

…so that’s what I’m doing today, sharing it with you:

http://magic-traffic-software.com

Take care - your friend Jennifer

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your transpac07.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

Anonymous said...

geotorelxzp credit card debt
consolidate credit card debt